Change leaders as well as their families and teams will often endure challenges that prompt anxiety, fear of failure, frustration, loneliness or other negative experiences. Leading change is not easy. Understanding and practicing the basics of self-care can make a big difference. The section here is not intended to be an exhaustive resource for mental and physical health, but rather a few selected resources that are especially useful for change leaders.
Managing your thoughts
Ruminating and overthinking - whether it's replaying past losses, embarrassments or humiliations, dwelling on your ex, or dwelling on good old days you wish hadn't ended, rumination takes us away from the opportunities and joys of the present. How to stop (here, and here).
Helpful vs non-helpful venting
Venting isn't always helpful - When you talk about something are you reinforcing negativity? or are you reframing it so you can move forward?
- Venting that reinforces negativity, including anger or feelings of powerlessness only makes things worse.
- Venting that reframes can be helpful: talking about something in a way that helps you arrive at a better understanding and broader perspective can help you set a constructive path for moving forward.
Questions that can help reframe
Recovery Village offers a handy set of questions you can use to help someone with social anxiety reframe a situation. As you'll see, these questions can be helpful for other scenarios where you want to reframe and connect to the bigger picture perspective:
- What is the worst that could happen?
- What is most likely going to happen?
- What’s something good that could come out of this?
- Have you ever felt like this before? You survived it last time.
- If you look back at this situation years from now, what will you think about it?
💎 Life is a Tapestry - How to think about and accept your less than perfectly focused life.
💎 How to Shift from Anxiety-Driven Work to Intentional Work - When thinking about your next chapter, use this insight to gain clarity about how you're spending your time, what you're focusing on the most, and where that's taking you.
💎 How the Open Palm Mindset gives you the power to pivot and leverage unexpected change to find next-level opportunities.
💎 Resetting the Bar - how to identify self-imposed limits that creep into our thinking, and then remove them. Includes a suggested exercise you can do to put this insight into action quickly and see results.